Friday, October 10, 2014

The secret is out: I go to therapy.

I've had something of a secret for a while, and today - World Mental Health Day - I want to let you know that I battle anxiety. I have been visiting a therapist for seven months now, and I can honestly say I am a more relaxed, more content and more joyful person than I was when I tried to fight anxiety and stress on my own.

It has been a difficult journey, though. I've had to relive traumas in my memories I would rather not talk about. I've explored the foundations of emotions - the deep, dark, gritty stuff no one wants to talk about. My therapist asked me questions with answers I'd rather not talk about.

But here's the thing. I talked. And it was hard. And it felt bad in the moment. But it was worth it.

And that's why I'm letting the secret out. This society has got to stop stigmatizing mental health issues! We've got to talk about anxiety like mine, and we've got to talk about even scarier mental illnesses like severe depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders and more!

So I'm doing my part, and I'm talking about it.

I've vented, and I've cried. I've experienced anger, abandonment, disappointment, sadness and fear.

But I can tell you that experiencing these emotions with a licensed therapist is a lot more preferable than experiencing them alone. So I ask you, are you stressed? Do you have problems falling asleep because your mind is racing? Is it difficult to push aside negative thoughts? Is it maybe even impossible to control the negative thoughts? Do you feel like you're fighting a battle inside your own mind? If you answered yes to any of these questions, I urge you to seek help. This war is not yours to fight alone. Seek counsel from a loved one, a friend or a religious leader. These people want to help you. I also ask you to seriously consider seeking professional help from a therapist or counselor. My therapist is an amazing woman who has helped me explore my mind and control my mind. You don't have to do this alone.

If you need immediate help, please call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.

I pray for peace in all our minds.



Whatever is just,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment