Friday, October 17, 2014

8 Songs For Your Anti-Anxiety Anthem Playlist

I'm constantly looking for ways to make my fight against anxiety easier. One way I do this is listening to uplifting music with encouraging lyrics. Below are some of my favorite songs to listen to when I feel stressed or worried. They also make great workout music! Have songs that you would include in the playlist? Leave them in the comments below!

1. "Brave" by Sara Bareilles
Standout lyrics: "Maybe there’s a way out of the cage where you live / Maybe one of these days you can let the light in / Show me how big your brave is"

Why I like it: It can be tough keeping feelings locked inside. It helps when you talk, and whenever I'm racking up the courage to speak, I listen to this song.




2. "Secrets" by Mary Lambert
Standout lyrics: "They tell us from the time we're young / To hide the things that we don't like about ourselves / Inside ourselves / I know I'm not the only one / who spent so long attempting to be someone else / Well I'm over it"

Why I like it: While I do believe we have to power to improve ourselves, there are some things about ourselves that we can't control, like anxiety. So why should I care who knows that I fight anxiety? If anything, my community can help me through this journey. Also, the song is super catchy.



3. "Greater" by MercyMe
Standout lyrics: "Every day I wrestle with the voices / That keep telling me I’m not right / But that’s alright / ‘Cause I hear a voice and He calls me redeemed / When others say I’ll never be enough / And greater is the One living inside of me / Than he who is living in the world"

Why I like it: God sees past my anxiety, and God is greater than "the voice that keep telling me I'm not right." This song gives me such hope!



4. "Shake it Off" by Taylor Swift
Standout lyrics: "But I keep cruising / Can't stop, won't stop grooving / It's like I got this music / In my mind saying, 'It's gonna be alright'"

Why I like it: Ok, maybe these lyrics aren't "standout" per se, but this song puts me in THE BEST MOOD. And when the dark thoughts come, songs like this push them in a corner.



5. "I Lived" OneRepublic
Standout lyrics: "I, I did it all / I owned every second / That this world could give / I saw so many places / The things that I did / Yeah, with every broken bone / I swear I lived"

Why I like it: This song encourages us to live life to the fullest. Check out their video about a teenager battling cystic fibrosis set to this song.



6. "My Lighthouse" by Rend Collective
Standout lyrics: "I won't fear what tomorrow brings / With each morning I'll rise and sing / My God's love will lead me through / You are the peace in my troubled sea"

Why I like it: This song reminds me that God doesn't promise a life without fear or bad times, but He does promise us that He'll never leave. As long as we remember to look toward Him, we'll be taken care of.



7. "Every Good Thing" by The Afters
Standout lyrics: "There will be days that give me more than I can take / But I know that You always make beauty from my heartache / Don't wanna forget or take for granted / That it's a beautiful life we live / I'm not gonna miss the moments like this / This is a beautiful life You give"

Why I like it: While it's difficult for me to control the negative thoughts in my mind, it's easy for me to appreciate the things God has blessed me with. This song reminds me of "every good thing" in my life: my family, friends, education, home... the list goes on!



8. "Anything Could Happen" by Ellie Goulding
Standout lyrics: "Letting darkness grow / As if we need its palette and we need its color / But now I've seen it through / And now I know the truth / That anything could happen"

Why I like it: With the pulsing beat and uplifting melody, this song puts a smile on my face and reminds me that "anything could happen." Why worry?



I'm always looking for new music, so feel free to leave your favorite anthems in the comments below! Until next time, I'll be praying that we can fight mental illness together.

Thinking about whatever is just,
Danielle




No comments:

Post a Comment