Friday, October 24, 2014

How I'm Using Twitter to Decide Who to Vote For Congress

I am so thankful to live in a country where I can vote for my representatives. I'm also thankful I live in an age when communicating with candidates has never been easier.

I live in Louisiana's 6th Congressional District. The seat was filled by Bill Cassidy (R), who is now running against incumbent Mary Landrieu (D) for one of Louisiana's Senate seats. The Democrats have put forth one real liberal contender, who also happens to be a state felon. Edwin Edwards, who served as Louisiana's governor, is prevented by law to from holding a state office. However, he can still run for federal office. Numerous Republicans have thrown their hats in the ring. They all claim they're the best for the job, but it's a lot of mumbo jumbo to me. Chances are, there will be a runoff between Edwards and one of the Republicans. Because I will not be voting for a crook, I wanted to know how all the candidates feel about the issues that I care about.

So, I did a little experiment. I tweeted out to all the candidates who had a Twitter account, and asked them a simple question: "Why should I vote for you? I care about the environment, education and low taxes." I even tweeted out to Edwards just to see if and how he would respond.

Four days later, Republicans Dan Claitor, Craig McCulloch and Lenar Whitney and Democrat Richard Lieberman still have not responded.

Republican Paul Dietzel was the first to respond. He sent out out eight tweets in response to me. Dietzel directed me to the homepage, about page and "other policy" page of his website. He said I should vote for him because he has private sector experience, education and a "new perspective." Should he be elected, he said he would be accessible and transparent. Based on his quick response on social media, I believe that statement to be true. From the links and tweets he sent me, Dietzel believes Louisiana's coastline should be restored by a public-private partnership; higher education should "adapt to prepare students for jobs of the future;" and taxes should not be raised. Finally, he tugged at our connection of education background. He is an LSU Manship School of Mass Communication alumnus; I am going to graduate from the school in December. I was most impressed by his obvious desire of my vote. When I asked follow-up questions, he quickly responded. Dietzel is a millenial who wants to connect to other millenials.



Republican Garret Graves was next to respond. He sent a link to a YouTube video of him speaking at TEDxLSU about Louisiana's coastal problem. Graves formerly served as Louisiana's Chairman of the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority, so he is an expert of Louisiana's environment issues. Graves didn't tweet to me about his views on education or low taxes, but he did offer me to direct message him if I had any more questions. The next day, my sorority president (who is interning at Graves' office) told me Graves asked her about me because he looked at my Twitter bio and saw that we're sorority sisters. I was impressed because he took the time to read my bio and make the connection to an intern. This also proved that Graves tweeted himself, and an intern did not send out those tweets. I did not direct message Graves, but I did watch the TEDxLSU talk.  I was most impressed by his passion for Louisiana that emulated when he spoke about Louisiana's land loss. If elected, I know he would fight for help in Washington for our coast's erosion.



Edwin Edwards responded third by tweeting back to me, "there are 3 great reasons why you should vote for me." I asked him to elaborate, but he didn't reply back. Even though I wasn't going to vote for Edwards in the first place, I was surprised he didn't even try to win my vote.
After this research, I've narrowed down my vote to Paul Dietzel and Garret Graves. I'm going to continue looking over both candidates' websites, reading newspaper articles and tweeting to the candidates. Whatever your political affiliation or age or sex or income level or education level, I encourage you to do to two things. First, VOTE! It's your right to vote, so don't waste that right. Second, RESEARCH! You can skim headlines, look through candidates' websites or even tweet to them like I did. Become an educated voter. These men and women are going to be representing YOU and what YOU believe. It's best to cast a ballot for someone you align with. Voting is a one of the most just things in the American government system, and I'm so thankful for it.

Thinking about whatever is just,
Danielle


No comments:

Post a Comment